Thursday 29 November 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes




It is HARD to blog regularly with a toddler, crazy work life and the million and one things that have to be done domestically each day. I have been neglecting my poor blog so I thought it was time to make some cupcakes (cos really, when is it never not a good time) and blog about it.
I have never made Red Velvet Cupcakes before but I do eat them regularly so I consider myself somewhat of a red velvet connoisseur. ;) I used the Magnolia Bakery recipe which I needed to convert to Australian measurements – now some might think I’m incredibly daft for not knowing – but I didn’t realise the measurements were different. So that was my task last night. I went to the shops this morning for the extra ingredients I needed and when little Miss was asleep I set to work.
I used “Pillar Box Red” food colouring which I think isn’t as red as I would like. I think there’s one called “Christmas Red” which is a stronger colour but they didn’t have it.
Here is the recipe converted to Australian measurements…. if you are from the US, the recipe can be found online by googling. The original recipe was for a cake so I halved it and baked it for less time (as shown below).
Ingredients:
3 cups cake flour
170g unsalted butter, softened
2 cups + 1.5 tbs sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
4 tbs red food colouring
2 1/4 tbs unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Method:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
In a small bowl, sift the cake flour and set aside. In a large bowl, on medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a small bowl, whisk together the red food colouring, cocoa and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.

In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.
Divide the batter among cupcake patties. Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.

When the cupcakes have cooled, pipe with frosting.

* I used a white chocolate cream cheese icing.
450g cream cheese
6 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
230g white chocolate (Lindt is great)
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water on low heat for about 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally until completely smooth. Remove from heat and let cool for 5-15 minutes, or until lukewarm.
In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat well. Add the melted chocolate and beat well. Use immediately or store, covered at room temperature for up to 4 hours.

1 comments:

Mardi Lowe said...

Yummy!!!!!!! I want one.

I also want your pink kitchen mixer!!!!

Post a Comment